Friday, February 20, 2009

Lancing Ring Orienteering (PS - I'm still a navigation god!)

I don't quite know what is happenning to my blog, but we have another public service announcement. For part of my dissertation research I wanted to take a group of NTC cadets orienteering on the fixed Lancing Ring (a.k.a. Lancing Clump) orienteering course. After two weeks of investigation, I managed to track down the man who runs it, to find out that I was calling him on his mobile phone in - NEW ZEALAND! Sorry Mum and Dad - that might have been an expensive call...

Anyways, he wouldn't return until after we were due to go. So instead, I decided that I would have to use an OS map, and create my own orienteering course map. I haven't done the course in 4 years, but I managed to find 12 markers (all the markers that I remember). Strictly speaking the start and finish is in the Lancing Manor Leisure Centre's field, but I started from the other end at the North Lancing cemetery. After just 65 minutes all the points (armed with no map) were mine!

With all of the trouble I had, I thought I would put a map up showing where the markers are, so that if you're left in the same boat, you haven't got to stumble around beautiful Lancing Ring to find them all. Each dot is a marker, and the start/ finish post is near where it says 'Pleasure Gds'. (I suppose there might be more than 12 markers, but me and the 25 cadets didn't find any others)
Hope that helps someone out. If you want to speak to the man, go to www.milescary.co.uk (provided he's not in New Zealand...).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that said Pleasure Gods... and got confused because I didn't think there were any in Lancing...
But it made me smile anyways.
I think there may be something wrong with me :D

MRG said...

Where the hell is lancing ring!