Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Frown and Grrr

I have to say, that the week between Valentine's Day and my birthday is always bad. These are two of the most depressing days of the year for me (Valentine's Day for obvious reasons). But this year, I managed to make the week that much more stressful for myself. What a pillock.

First off, I decided to collect all of my dissertation data in one week, and carry out the intervention. Alright, so all I had to do was run a week of fun adventurous activities - and tha was a laugh. But my dear lord! The week just went from one disaster to the next. You all know about the orienteering map bu*ger up (and if you don't, read the previous post), but there is only one other that I'm willing to share. We went to do archery at our local Scout camp. Previously, we have used the big field next door. I arrived, and found that they don't have access to that field any more, and I would have to use the camp (which has a stream running behind it)! Loosing arrows in the stream would be bad news bears. But the Scout guys were great. They took 25 minutes to drive to their HQ, and get their archery net, which they then set up for me. That was sooo appreciated, and was one of the few things that went right.

On top of this, I had to get a presentation done for Uni. After feck*ng around Friday morning with the map, I ruched to Chichester to meet up with my group. The deal was that I would present and sort out the technology and presentation materials. The rest of the team would sort out the research. We got all of the stuff together, and I found that the presentation was weaker than a wet paper bag! Oh bu*ger.

So I spent all weekend (when I wasn't doing dissertation stuff) trying to get it right. That included my birthday. The group then spent all of Monday trying to scrape together something decent. By today, we had produced a pretty well referenced presentation, and I had sorted out a webpage and handout to accompany the presentation (I think the finishing touches are important). So after all of that effort, you'd think I'd be pleased with the result.

No.

The scheduled room hadn't been booked properly (chuffing incompetent lecturers - how hard can it be to book a room - oh that's right easy - I've done it before!!!). I had checked the presentation worked properly, and all of the technology worked in that room. Obviously, it didn't work properly in the other room. The colour contrast was way off, so no one could see the animation or design of the presentation, and all of the footer notes had been cut off of the bottom.

Worse still, was my own performance. In previous presentations, my presentation skills have become the stuff of legends (even if I do say so myself). As such, the group decided that I would present the latter two thirds of the presentation to punch us through. Unfortunately, I have been chisled down so much, that I really couldn't care less about the bloo*y thing. Worse still, I had no enthusiasm (or even a passing interest) for the subject in the first place. That may have shown in my generally pi*s-poor performance, and the generally un-entertaining result. Maybe it was just because we were last up, but I really didn't feel that spark I usually have. All the effort and stress, and I was severely disappointed with the outcome. That's definitely a kick in the teeth.

Having said that, I spent 45 minutes on the phone this evening, and chatting with a friend really did make me feel better. Thanks Nat.

I'd just like to finish with my Birthday. Thanks to everyone who sent a message (by phone or by FaceBook, or in person). I have said that I don't like my birthday, and I really do consider it a non-event. Except for my family, there is only one person in the world who knows when it is (although Mike actually goes for two dates, better to be on the safe side eh?). Thanks to FaceBook, everyone and their bloomin dog knew when it was this year. Well, don't worry, I found out how to get rid of that on FaceBook.

It's not because I am vain, I don't think that age is important in many things. I have left my birthday visible on FaceBook to proove this (I don't mind everyone knowing that I'm only 20... lol). The day just makes me miserable for other far more complex reasons. Having said that, it is nice to receive so many messages. Thanks for that. It was also very good to receive such an amazing present from my best mate. It won't mean anything to anyone else, but he gave me something he has had for years, and I have wanted ever since I saw it.

And on that bomb-shell, goodnight.



Dedicated to the memory of Commodore Bill Smith NTC (1920-2009). A great leader, a great man, and a great friend. I will miss you alot Bill, and so will so many others.

1 comment:

MRG said...

You're more than welcome mate, you have done so much for me in the past and mean so much as a mate. Of course I couldn't forget your birthday... I know it's on the 11th!