Thursday, January 29, 2009

Even I'm not that sad (and that's saying something)

I was rudely awoken this morning at an unearthly hour (alright, it was 8.30, but I haven't got to get up!). Very loud music was playing for the car valet garage behind our house. I mean, VERY LOUD. Honestly, I would imagine half the neighbour-hood heard the mechanic's choice of music this morning.

I know that I sound like an old fart, but first thing in the morning? A little unnecessary I think. But worse still, was what was actually being played. After the music stopped, the show's host began to speak - it was only bloomin' Terry Wogan. Who in their right mind plays BBC Radio 2 at full volume, like a bad boy racer? Soon after Terry's dulcit tones started to waft accross the county, there was some shouting, and an abrupt stop to the radio. That's no way to treat a knight of the realm!

Anyways, as I said, even I'm not sad enough to listen to Radio 2 (unless it's the only thing my car radio will pick up), and I certainly would blast it out over the countryside. Having said that though, I did once drive through Arundel playing Classic FM at full volume - it just seemed appropriate...

ERNIE UPDATE: Make sure you're sitting down - I got the engine started! It came to be in a dream oddly, but I knew the engine would start if it was warm. I also knew the engine would be warm if I ciould get it started. Neither points very helpful. Putting my camping Trangia stove under the engine would probably do the trick, but I feared that the mixture of gas stove, naked flame, and a petrol engine would only end in a messy disaster.

So instead, I pushed the car around, and put the nose under the garage. Then I fished out my cheap Halogen site lamps (the kind that builders have, only mine were bought in Lidl), and focussed them on the engine. After two hours later at Gas Mark 4, the engine started straigh on the key! I was opptimisitc, but even I was amazed how well that worked. Mum thought it would never work, but once again, Ernie prooved her wrong. In Ernie we trust...

PS - It's all up to the genious of the mechanics at W. Jones of Bognor now. Keep praying that it's a cheap simple fix, or it's not going to happen...

No comments: