Sunday, March 04, 2007

I bet dragons can swim

Harah! I have returned from the Brecon Beacons in time to write this week's blog.

As with all mountain ranges, in the Brecon Beacons there is a little bit of rain. Well, when I say a little bit of rain, I mean a LOT of rain. When I picked up my friends from Chichester, I was wearing sun glasses, a hawaiian shirt, and everything was glorious. When we arrived at a very quet campsite (more on that later) it was persisting down with rain. Which made pitching the tents very interesting.

Of my accommodation on that night, I will say this - it was very luxurious. It had running water and everything. And an indoor water feature! Those of you that know anything about camping, will know that as desirable as these features are in houses, this is all bad news in a tent. I soaked up as much water as I could with a towel, but I still spent the evening balancing carefully on two roll mats, hoping not to fall in a pool of water overnight. Lovely.

Of course my tent was better than Becs'. Hers was so water logged that she asked to sleep in the car. Unlike my tent, Becs' tent wasn't big enough to have more than one option to sleep in. So her only option was to sleep in my car. Typical isn't it. Even Ernie has now slept with more women than I have. Cheers pal.

Now Saturday was a very nice day. For the Brecon Beacons. Sunshine for alot of the day, rain for some of the day, and 'Sminty' hail for the rest of the time. We called it 'Sminty' hail, because each bit of hail was the size of a Smint thing. They only hurt a little.

Indeed, the next day, in 30-40 mph winds and heavy rain, on the top of a mountain (Fan Y Big) the rain felt like tiny nails hitting us. Unsuprisingly, even our £300-a-pop water proof jackets couldn't withstand the punishment. All four of us were soaking by the time we collapsed into my ever trusty car: Ernie.

That's right, my car logged another weekend away. This time, the round trip totalled to 555 miles, with a normal cruising speed of 80. Damn I love my car. The whole point of the weekend was to log some Mountain days so that we can be Mountaineers, but I have decided to keep a logbook for my car as well. This weekend, my car can definatly claim some good mountain days on the roads. Well they were cold and wet enough any way. Ernie was glad to arrive back in Sussex, I could almost feel him relax.

I suppose I had better explain this week's title. With the ammount of rain up in the Beacons, it was almost possible to swim and/or Kayak down some of the paths. Now, from the Welsh flag, everyone knows that dragons live there somewhere, and if they live near Brecin, then surely they must be able to swim. My goodness it was wet.

Finally, it wouldn't be right to end this week's post with going for the sympathy vote. I was ill this week with flu (although I believe I am supposed to call it man flu). I got back home from Uni on Tuesday, and crashed on my bed, and pretty much slept until Thursday morning, when I dragged myself up to go back to Uni. I phoned in ill to Sainsbury's, because I most definatly couldn't work. I had almost passed out in the car driving home. Although I went to Uni on Thursday, I still didn't go to work. I needed to be better, so that I could go to Wales the next day!

If you think that I should stop winging, and enjoy having time off work, why not leave a comment saying that I am a wimp.

If you think that I was brave (possibly daft) driving 555 miles and trekking over the Brecon Beacons, whilst recovering from man flu, why not leave a comment telling me about it.

Quote of the week: "Ahh - so the Alps is short for the Al-Pennines" said my incredibly stupid brother after claiming that the Pennines are in the South of France. Pillock.

Song of the Month: Bobby Darin - Don't Rain on my Parade

DEDICATED TO BARRY 'THE BARMAN' LEWIS
1953 - 2007


Another dedicated Lions member taken by Cancer. Your loss will be felt for many months, but you had one hell of a send-off!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Barry mate!

Ernie is a legend, may have been round the block with the women, which is why 'the lady' was safely locked up when you came over 'tother day lol!

Partatio