Sunday, March 11, 2007

The beginning of the end of CATCOUK



It would appear that this is the beginning of the end of my humble blog. On the week when ratings fall to an all time low (with 0 comments), I actually have to start this week's with... a... g... goo... not bad thing to say about Sainsbury's. I can't believe it. This could very well be the end of CATCOUK... Ratings fall to the lowest on record - 0 comments.

This week at Sainsbury's, I actually had a pleasant week. It would appear that after 2 years, 3 months, and 2 weeks of constant complaining, and aggrevating supervisiors, someone has actually listened to me! I like pushing trolleys around in the car park. Many of you may think that strange, but think about it. Fresh air, exercise (of which I am in desperate need), thinking about the most efficient collecting trolleys from different bays, and most importantly - no management to get on my nerves. Therefore (and I can't believe I'm typing this), I have to thank Wendy who does the schedules for putting me out on trolleys all week. [Shaking head of disbelief]

As hard as many of you may find this to believe, I am not your average trolley wally. When I put my mind to it, I can get the job done very quickly. Obviously I try to avoid this, or a supervisor may drag me back in to sit on a checkout, or stack shelves. It's kind of a code of practice for all guys that work on the trolleys.

So anyway, on Thursday evening, the guy on before me had done a smashing job, and I was left with 4 hours to kill, and not an awful lot of trolleys to park. At different times, I dipped into the store to do odd jobs (like collect baskets etc). One time, I decided to empty the advert bin (this is wear all the inserts from the Radio Times [amongst others] get thrown when they fall out). We use a blue Sainsbury's basket (maybe you've seen them, or you have one).

Because of the leaflets size, we can't throw them in our bailer for recycling - they just fall out. So this box has to be taken to the far end of the car park, and tipped into a paper recycling skip. Normally you have to post all of the paper through a slot in the side, but this particular skip has a gouge in the top. So I always up end this box over the top, and let the paper fall out. Everytime I do this, I always worry about dropping the box into the skip, but normally the paper falls out very quickly - bing bang bosh. Job done. But not tonight. Can anyone guess what's coming next?

That's right. One thing lead to another, and the box was sitting at the bottom of the skip. Usually the skip is nearly full at this time of the week. So I climbed up on the box, and peered inside to see if I could retrieve my lost bin. In usual CATCOUK style, nothing is ever easy, and the bin was empty - all the long way to the bottom.

I could have easily got in there, but getting out would have required climbing expertise so good, that I wouldn't need to work at Sainsbury's. Not wanting to go back in, and admit my mistake, I went to my trusty side kick car, and got out my trekking pole, a rope, and an elastic bungee cords with hooks on each end. I then spent the best part of 5 minutes retrieving the damned box. I leave it to your imagination how I got the box back, or how far the bungee cord stretched when weighted down by the half full of paper bin. Marvellous.

Lastly, I feel the need to point out what high quality tutors we have at the University of Chichester. In our final lecture of the week, I found a balloon. The lecturer (Hodgo - or Chris Hodgson [which is out nickname for him]) felt that he needed to ruin our volley-ballon-ball fun by taking it away. In a desperate grasp for humour, Hodgo drew a 'Coley' face on the balloon. Coley is a most feared lecturer (although not by me) in the school of PE. It was an angry face. Ian 'Coley' Coleman - feared by all. But not me, I just answerback to his sarcastic remarks.

The other interesting think about Ian Coleman, is that all the lecturers are scared of him as well (whether they admit it or not). I wonder what Coley would think of Chris' impression of him. I might send him an E-mail... Also, it is worth saying that immediatly after this, Chris drew on the white-board in permanent marker. Something else to mention in that E-mail...

If you would like Monday mornings back (or whenever you choose to read this dribble) and would like to see the end of CATCOUK, don't leave a message [again].

If you think that CATCOUK is worth keeping, before taking psychological medication you should leave a message.

Quote of the week: 'Oh... good,' said a bemused trolley wally after foolishly dropping a plastic box full of paper into a skip. What a dimwit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Andy last week was good! i just didnt leave a comment cos i spoke 2 u whilst i was reading it!! btw i wont see u 2moro for library fun, cos ive had a bit of a situation at home, chat 2 u 2moro xzxx

Anonymous said...

Just caught up with my reading andy, its week 9 so is a bit difficult to do stuff other than work.... (that's if your coursework isn't going and getting a tan for weeks on end ;-P ) Keep the blog up!

Partatio

Ian said...

You feeling unloved Andy?

My humblest apologies, in waiting for inspiration for my usual ultra-witty replies (to me if nobody else) it kinda slipped my mind. Sorry mate!

And well done on the retrieval of the plastic box. have you ever thought about taking up fishing? Could be the start of a mini-adventure?!

As always, keep up the good work

Love and molehills

Abdulla and the camels

Anonymous said...

No no no no no. You can't get rid of my weekly reading!

Glad you're enjoying work...
Can't help thinking you won't be so pleased to be stuck on trolleys when it starts raining though ;)

So yeah, here's my bit to say keep on writing every week :)

I gotta get back to GIS now... Yeah, check it out, I'm actually doing some work!

Speak soon,
Siobhan

Anonymous said...

No no no no no. You can't get rid of my weekly reading!

Glad you're enjoying work...
Can't help thinking you won't be so pleased to be stuck on trolleys when it starts raining though ;)

So yeah, here's my bit to say keep on writing every week :)

I gotta get back to GIS now... Yeah, check it out, I'm actually doing some work!

Speak soon,
Siobhan