Sunday, September 28, 2008

Oh my goodness, a post on time!!!

Good evening!

Well, isn't this ironic. The first blog post I have managed to write up on time, and I can't think of anything to write up. So here we go. Hold on tight, as I ramble my way through yet another blog post, here on the wonderful blog of CATCOUK...

As I have tried to point out, and I'm not sure whether I have got my point accross, but University is very, very, VERY busy. We don't really have many lectures, but we do have plenty of assignments. Now, a 1000 word essay is only really two pages of text. I know that I can write two pages of text in maybe 30 minutes, or even less if I know what I want to say. Just ask anyone in the NTC that has read either my new safety administration regulations, or the National Camp Guidebook. They'll tell you that I can do.

So with that in mind, how difficult can these assignments be? If it only takes 30 minmutes to write 1000 words, what am I complaining about. If only I knew what I wanted to say. On top of the actual writing, which barely takes any time at all, I have to research what I am writing about, fully reference what I'm writing, and try and get interested in the subject. If the subject is interesting to me, I'm laughing. Unfortunately it seems that most of the stuff I'm doing this term is a load of old horse hockey.

But it was with great pride, that I printed an A0 size poster (that's over a metre wide!). I took great care in designing it, and I love playing about with graphics. I wanted a finished product that would completely break the mold of standard looking academic posters. And apparently the time I spent on it was worth it. When one of my friends saw it being printed, Kat thought that it couldn't be anything to do with our projects. Marvellous.

Several people said that they really liked the look of the poster, and used words like 'amazing'. Well that's great, but I don't think that the lecturers will settle at looking at the graphic design elements of the poster. So it may look pretty, but the essay content is probably a load of old dribble...

One of the highlights of my week however, was kayaking in Chichester canal. Well, that's a lie actually, the real highlight for me, was getting back in the saddle as it were, and arguing with one of our senior lecturers. Som would call me brave, most merely stupid. But I have never like bullies, and I never will. Both from a youth working point of view, and from a personal point of view.

As a high school student, I only ever got into one fight. This 6ft goon called my best friend a name, making fun of his religious nature. The bully alarm went off in my head, and I made some remark. Following that, he pushed me to the ground, and started repeatedly trying to kick me in the head. I have never been the tallest, and as a sixteen-year old, I certainly wasn't taller than this 6ft lumiox. Anyways, after I produced a two footed kick from my shoulder blades, directed at his gentals, he looked quite sore, and was suspended for 6 weeks. I didn't have a mark on me, and I got back on my stool, and straightened my tie. I don't like bullies.

Anyway, going back to my original topic, this particular lecture, 'Coley' likes to think of himself as a bit of a hardnut. You know the type, stereotypical head of PE at high school. Well, he pretty much bullies most people into things, and most students are scared of him. I never have been, and I always stand up to assist my fellow students who fall foul of him, and his wicked use of language.

It's still fairly early in the morning, and I have just finished unpacking the trailer. I'm a little dazed, and wondering what to do next. Just as I think about getting my dry suit on, Coley, seeing me standing doing nothing, chirps up with: 'Are you ready to go on the water?'.

'Nearly,' I reply, 'I'm just getting changed'. I'm obviously not changing, although I am in the process of walking towards my bag. Coley doesn't like this 'attitude', and fake threatens me if I don't keep my mouth free of sarcastic replies. After point out that I merely gave him an accurate response to his caustic question (well, I was heading towards my bag to get changed), he warned me how nasty he can be. I don't want to get him in trouble, so it's worth pointing out that all of his threats were of course idle and slightly jokey. But he was clearly getting a bit peeved.

Not to be outdone, and to have the last word, I raised my voice a little, so that my fellow students could all here me. 'Surely not Ian [being his first name], not old 'cuddly Coley'...'. Many of the students giggled at the gall of my statement, and the other lecture tried to supress a laugh, and then looked at me, shaking his head. 'Fourth yearm and you still don't know when to stop.' Well, actualy I do, and I prooved it. When I've made fun of Coley, and I've had the last word/ laugh. What Coley started, I finished, making fun of him in the process. Win!

Later on, I was put in this aircraft carrier of a kayak. It was just like a rocket car - in a straight line it was great, but it took forever to turn around. Also, because of it's V-shaped hull, it was very wobbly. Coley noticed me on the water, and said that me capsizing right now would make his day. I never did. I won't win every battle with Coley, but the point that I can win, where other students wouldn't dare, is reason enough for me to try. Having said that, I like to think that Coley and I share a friendly rivalry, where each of us consider ourselves better than the other. Obviously the fact that I realise this, makes me a better person than Coley...

I can't finish this post without telling you of the relaxing weekend I enjoyed. Oh that's right, it wasn't relaxing at all. After a 5.30am wake up, I was standing at Adur Rec in the mist and the fog helping to run a carboot sale for the NTC. It was good fun. I argued with two punters, and as each of them drove off, I shouted cheerfully after them 'HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY SIR!' I also had to start 4 cars - jump start three with flat batteries with Dad's car (Ernie was at home), and one who thought she had a flat battery. When we jump started her, everything sounded fine, it just wasn't starting. At this point I asked 'Does it have plenty of fuel.'

Well, this lady drive looked at her guage and said, 'well the symbol is flashing, but that doesn't mean it's empty does it?' Sigh - I'm not going to make any comments about women drivers...

But hey-ho. We made a fair few quid. And I have to say, I was most impressed, and pleasently suprised about how much we received in public donations. Over £250! Incredible considering all of the economic misery that is descending upon us...

Lastly, today we had our first weekend band practice, in preparation for the band contest at the end of October. We have some new officers on the unit, and I am very keen for them to take the band on. Dad's also getting very interested and committed. Marvellous. So, since I came back from the US, I have sat on my hands, and said nothing. No matter how many things were going on that I probbaly wouldn't have.

But I couldn't do it anymore. I was broken today. I don't wish to make Tyler, our wonderful bandmaster, or John, or is another exceptional officer, feel bad, but I couldn't hold on any more. After a solid hour of what can only be described as faffing, I had to step in, and kick some backsides. The cadets were moping around, and not really engaged. Well if there is one thing I can do, it's to kick people in the behind, and get them motivated. Despite a very looong day, and a very busy day, we now have a complete routine, pretty much from scrap. I even found time to make some stuff up today, to fill in the gaps. But I didn't really do that much. Tyler had set everything up, all I did was steer the cadets in the right direction, and get us going. Unfortunatly, I'm still pretty new at my instrument, and I really need to practice playing and marching. Bugger.

Well, I think I've rambled through that quite well. Have a good one, and see you soon.

If you think that I made this up on the spot, and it was rubbish, why not leave a comment, where you try to write something better.

If you think that I made this up, and did it pretty well, why not leave a comment and an address, so that I know where to send the details for alcoholics anonymous.

Quote of the Week: 'Well, the symbols flashing, but that doesn't mean it's completely out of fuel does it?' Duh! Cars need petrol to move!!!

No comments: