Sunday, September 16, 2007

Trips, trips, and more trips

This was the week that was.

And a busy week as well. As I'm sure you all know by now, I am working at a middle school (ages 8-12) in Worthing. Working in four classes, across three year groups, I get about alot (as it were). Now, I have an incessant need to help people, so I am the first to offer assistanceif I can. And this vile trait of mine ended up with this.

On Tuesday I went with Year 5 to Pulborough Brooks nature reserve, as part of their 'mini-beasts' topic. It was a beautiful day, not even spoiled by the multi-coloured yawn of one pupil on the coach. But, regrettably, I hadn't really thought this one through. The group are studying 'mini-beasts' (insects to you and me), so what is the rest-assured classic main stay of insect field trips?
Yay, bloody fantastic nature! Me at Pulborough Brooks.

That's right. Pond dipping. Ever since I was a child, I have hated pond dipping, with an absolute passion. So yet again, another hour of my life was wasted away, splashing breaking nets around in murky, miserable water. I don't know if any of you remember back to school, and pond dipping sessions (I would be very suprised, and annoyed if any of you managed to escape this particular form of school torture), but it seemed that whenever I went pond dipping, all I ever caught was one thing.

Bleedin' Water Boatmen.

The first time you catch one, you use your magnifying glass, not that it helps you see the creature any better, but it does make you feel more scientific. There's the oval shaped body, with two huge arms likes oars. Having made this simple observation, you then go through that identification chart you never thought you'd use. And yep, sure enough, you have a Water Boatman. Yippee. Sketch it in your scetch book, put it back, and try again.

Your next catch, once again aided by the magnifyer, is identidied as a Water Boatman. And so the merry cycle continues, but by the 59th friggin' Water Boatman, you kind of get bored of dipping for the buggers. Why couldn't I catch something exciting from the chart? I don't know, something like a duck.

Anyways, this session wasn't much different. I spent the hour waving goodbye to another hour of my life that I would never see again. Another hour vanquished by the torturor known as pond dipping...

On Wednesday, I helped Year 7 on their trip to Bignor Roman Villa. This is my third visit to the villa, and each time, I never fail to be disappointed. The villa was found in 1811, museum buildings look like they will put up in 1511. The place is in a real state, and has always looked pretty messy. The tour is a little on the lame side, and as dull as dish water. Especially on the third trip around.

For the trip, I was given a little fact sheet, so that I knew some vital statistics. I forgot about that sheet when I went out in the evening to go and meet up with Michael. How cool am I? That's right, I was able to tell Michael everything he ever wanted to know about the villa, and even alot of stuff he didn't want to know. Forunatly, I swept the sheet under the carpet, and dumped it in the bin, to save Michael the pain, and save what little remains of my street cred.

To top of my rather wonderful week (at long last, I'm busy again), me, Ernie (TS Intrepid's official mini-minibus), and a bunch of kids bombed down to Portsmouth for a weekend of sailing, and sunburn. Saturday was an amazing day. A nice gentle breeze, glorious sunshine, and nice warm water. The kids looked as though they had a cracking day, and I had a great day on the safety boat. Once again, I was paired up with a lovely lady from the MVS (some sort of powerboat voluteer service). Me and Margaret make a crack team in the boat, and we both enjoy a good bomb about in the power boat (even if we did use just a little bit too much fuel).

Amazingly, we had no injuries (not even boo boos) other than someone took a minor bang to the head. Nothing serious. My car did sustain an injury however. For security reasons, I can't tell you what's wring with Ernie, but hopefully next week, I'll be able to tell you all about it. Well that gives us all something to look forward to. I think a great weekend was had all round, although I am majorly knackered.

By that last comment, I mean take a hint. I'm tired, and I need to go to bed. Stop reading my blog, and let me be. Oh, and by the way, you may remember last week, I complained that only 15 people read, but at least one person left a comment on facebook saying that they are a regular reader. So good day to you Jamie. I hope that you are well.

If you think that pond dipping is awesome, and you hate my guts, why not leave a comment telling me so.

If you think that pond dipping is crap, leave a comment telling me that you only ever caught Water Boatmen as well.

Quote of the Week: "Make that 16, iv got into the habbit of reading it every week! see life is worthwhile theres 16 of us! Hope ur well" said Jamie on Facebook. Well I thought his comment deserved recognition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how i empathise re pond dipping, think yourself lucky that you did'nt have to go with 90, year three kid's!
It still amazes me how many times you can say "please don't lean so far over you'll fall in" without them taking the slightest bit of notice!
TA Heaven.

Ian said...

I thought 'pond dipping' was the new 'dogging' until I kept on reading. I'm glad I did, would have got me worried.

Abdulla and the sheep (camels are on holiday).

Anonymous said...

Haha a rather good Blog Senior Clarke, glad you enjoyed but squandered the opportunity to tell me about Bignor Roman Villa, I can imagine it being about as much fun as the fishbourne one or Herpes.

Was good to see you at the crown and anchor, needs to be something we do more often for sure, P.S I need to speak to you about living in lancing... :O

Mike