Sunday, December 03, 2006

Yippee! It's essay time!

Contrary to recent comments, us Adventure Education students do occasionally have to put our Kayaks in the shed, hang up our climbing boots, and put the mountain bikes in for a service. And when this apocolyptic bi-annual event happens, another strange sighting can be made:

All the Adventure Ed students gathered in the Library!!!

Yes, all 30 second year Adventure Education students panicked this week, upon realising that we actually have to hand some assignments in next week. Motivation is a clear issue when completing assignments (Clarke, 2006) as looking for research, and compiling endless references is enough to make you grab two pencils, and jab your eyeballs out (Clarke and Emery, 2005)! As you can see, I just can't help but put those references in...

As I said, it's difficult to get motivated, especially when you are writing 1750 word essays on Risk Assesments. In fact, I started one essay on Monday, and it took until Thursday to complete the 1000 words!!! So as you can imagine, it's been a bit of a slow week. I've barely seen anyone all week, and those I have seen have been buried alive under a mountain of research books.

But this week's post is saved by the events of Friday. Does anybody know what Friday was? That's right kids, 1st of December!!!! And as everyone out there knows, that can mean only one thing. Yep - chocolate ADVENT CALENDAS!!!! So from now until... oh... lets say Christmas day, I'll be adding a photo of my Advent chocolate to a new photo album on my Bebo (catcouk.bebo.com). The first of our Christmas features here at CATCOUK (first of many), so that you can enjoy my chocolates as much as me. Well, you'll know what I've started my day with. As well as a bowl ogf coco-pops...

Fig 1. Doctor Who's advanced quantum mechanics advent calenda for those with degrees.

This year's Advent calenda is Bon Bon's DOCTOR WHO calendar (bought from J Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd). I would have to rate the chocolates at 7 out of 10. Okay, not as good as Cadbury's, but no where near as bad as Hershey's. The overall rating for the calenda is upped by the fact that is says you get goodies to play with (havn't got one yet though). But the rating is lowered by the fact that you have to have a degree in Advanced Quantum Mechanics to get the chocolate out! It's buried deep in the plastic holder... So, overall (after additions and reductions) let's say...

DOCTOR WHO SCORES.... (drum roll please)

6.1784964056 out of 10

Enough said!

Lastly, I need to set some of you straight. Many of you think that on the weekends all I do, is wear funny clothes, and hit a drum in a Marching Band. In fact, I actually wear women's clothes, and hang around in bars. No, I don't. I'll admit I have been doing alot with the band of late. This Saturday, we joined one of our sister ships (TS Sturdy) to lead the Chichester Candle procession to count down to the big switch on of the Chichester Christmas lights. My side drum had lights in and everything...

But I'm not banding EVERY weekend. Readers of my blog will know that last weekend I tried to give all my cadets pneumonia by having an afternoon of activities in the cold freezing rain. This weekend, as well as battling with padestrians to march up Chichester high street, I also attended my Mum's confirmation at Church. I'm sure it was very good, but as I was asleep for the hour and a half it lasted, I'm not entirely sure. Dad poked me every now and again to get an 'Amen' out of me...

Another successful blog well blogged I feel. Just enough time left to announce that January replacements have been selected. After literally THREE applications, it was a difficult decision to make, but my good friends Ian Emery and Michael Gates will be taking the CATCOUK helm, and keeping you entertained for the two weeks that I'm away for.

Thanks for reading again this week, lets see what little Christmas related suprise I have for you all next week. Just a quick reminder to you all, that as of Monday you have/ had just 19 shoplifting days until Christmas. Get misappropriating those Christmas presents today! (this is not encouragement to start steeling from shops. Don't steel kids, it's not cool)

If you hate Christmas, and would rather I stopped talking about it, why not leave a message saying how much you hate me, and the Little Donkey song (no Graham, I havn't forgotten).

If you like Christmas and think that I should start appearing in Karioke bars everywhere singing yule tide tunes, and spreading my words of joy... Deck the halls with bells of holly, fa la la la la, la la la larrrrrrrrr!

Thank you, I'm here all week.

References

Clarke, A. J. F. (2006). An interesting study into the theory and application of absolute bordom in the motivation of adventure eductaion students in 1750 word essays on risk assesments. The Journal of interesting studies into theories and applications of interesting topics, 2(3) 88-69.

Clarke, A., and Emery, I. (2005). How to commit suicide using basic office tools: a behavioural approach. Ireland: Gobshite Press Inc.

3 comments:

Ian said...

wow, I (sorry Michael - we!) am deeply priveleged!

and not only that, I didn't realise I was a qualified write of reference books. The levels of my skills will never cease to amaze myself.

And for the record, out of my Celebrations Advent Calendar so far I've had a Milky Way, a Mars Bar and a Galaxy (all bite size, naturally).

and just to let you know, I've lent out three of my herd of camels. Some wise old men wanted to go chase a star or something..... something about a kid called Brian.... Stay tuned!

Cheers mate.

Abdulla

http://the-mighty-oak.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed in you, you failed to reference the Christmas carol towards the end of your post, I could be fussy and go through the rest of it but can't be bothered =P

Anonymous said...

hiya andy
im loving christmas but im agreeing with you little donkey is the worst song evar. why did we have to play it???????????? i am goin to hate it for the rest of my little life lol.
well done ian and micheal for winning i new you would lol

see you all soon(andy, ian)