Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 7: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Howday y'all!

This week, has probably been the most exciting week yet in the States. And this week's title is very literal, in the sense that is acurately describes my week. Well, almost. So the train was technically last week, when Jordan and I hopped on the choo-choo to Philly. But the rest were definitely this week.

From a work point of view, the competency of the leaders coming with Scouts definitely dropped. We have written in the leader guides, we tell people at a meeting, and I even tell the class on the evening before: YOU MUST PROVIDE TRANSPORT. So the first day of sailing, and we have just about enough transport for the Scouts, but not for me or my assistant. So Giraffel (my asst. had to drive). What makes me mad though, is that one of the trucks had two adults in (where only one was needed), and the truck had another seat they weren't using. Dullards.

This was compounded by the other sailing crew. Two of them, both as dull as cod. Honestly, they could have fallen asleep and been more interesting. They are also the first crew that I haven't invited to have ice cream. I just couldn't spend any more time in their presence!
I have to also say, that this week was the first week that sailing made the front page of our troop evaluations (well, last week's). This is a good thing. But we didn't just get written in there once, but FIVE TIMES! The first time we are on the front page, and it happens multiple times! One said that, and I quote ‘Sailing is awesome – and so is Andy!!!’ Brilliant. This week's 'evals' were just an excuse to write my name or my department on a piece of paper.



Although we had to drive ourselves this week, it did allow us to get some stuff from the store. Last year, I purchased an American 'Cell Phone' from a 'dollar store'. It cost $10, so I thought, 'What the hey, why not?' After 7 weeks in the US, I have finally used my free 20 units. When I went to buy new airtime, the cheapest was $20 for 60 units. Considering that I had only used 20 units, it made sense for me to just get another new 'cell phone'. So I have! Despite these stupidly low prices, they do try and squeeze all the money they can out of you. I get charged (and apparently this is normal in the US) to receive calls, as well as make them. That really annoys me.


But nevermind, for people are being very open about letting me drive their cars this year. Jordan let me drive his Jeep back from the 'Rail road' station last week, and Todd let me drive his car to the ice cream shop and back. Todd's car is still my favourite 'normal' car. I'm not sure that anything can beat the 'Suburban'. But Todd is a great guy, and he is kind of the camp's very own superhero. In fact, Superman wear's Todd Warner pajamas. But I digress. For, as well as letting me drive his car, Todd also let me pilot his PLANE! That's right everybody - I went flying this weekend with Todd! He was even kind enough to use a plane... Me, flying with Todd - he was a little tired, so he decided to use the plane instead. Todd and I standing by his plane, the Piper Archer, N2245W.

The weather was good enough for us to get to fly around, but we weren't able to stay up for as long as we would have like. The weather closed in a little, and Todd didn't want an 'exciting landing'. Apparently, some people call those a crash!!! But it was a good 90 minute flight. We flew over camp, and over the lake that I sail on. We nearly hit a glider, and a plane nearly hit us, but it was an enjoyable flght. And Todd's landing was near perfect. Not bad really, he's only been flying for 2 years. Todd's plane in it's hangar - we had to pull it out by hand, and it wasn't even very heavy (whuch would be a good thing for a plane)

Todd let me fly the plane, a 1979 Piper Archer, along the Delaware river, and I was at the controls for about 20 minutes. It was awesome, and much more difficult than I ever thought a plane would be. But I guess that I'm just used to a big commercial aircraft that moves very little. With this new experience, I have now driven a vehicle at a faster speed than ever before! We were flying (air speed) at 115 knots (around 120-125mph). And that's also a new heght record for me to drive at, we flew at 3000ft.

Me at the controls - contain yourself ladies, I know that it's just like a scene from Top Gun...

The controls that I had to play with - how about this for irony, Todd was able to fly on his (left) side of the plane, just like in a car, and I was able to drive on the right side of the plane, just like a car. Why can't cars be like that?

Thanks Todd, it was an awesome day. And to follow it up, we ate at Chick-Fill-A, a delicious chicken based fast food restaurant. And y'all know how much I like my chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce! Delicious.

Lastly, my Nan (or Grandmother if you have to speak American) had her 88th birthday this week (at least I think she's 88 - I could be wrong). Obviously, being here, I wasn't able to see her on her birthday. So what better way to send a cheery birthday message than with a video. But not just any video. How about a video of 100 American staff member Scouts singing happy birthday, the only way they know how? Voila - one birthday video. You can see it too, on YouTube by clicking here.

Well that was my week. This weekend I'm going to cross the State line into New Jersey to see my friends from Scout Troop 29. I can't wait to see those guys again.

If you are a fan of Top Gun, and are offended by my comparson to it, why not leave a comment telling me that I'm far taller than Tom Cruise.

If you are a fan of Top Gun, but are now an even bigger fan of me, and you are young, attractive and female, why not leave a comment telling me that I'm far taller than Tom Cruise (you might also want to include your phone number...).

Quote of the Week: '[Sigh] Looks like we'll be talking again this evening' said Kevin, our first year Scout (Dan Beard Program) Director, when I informed him that one of his staff members had told Scouts that you can find North by looking at the moon, and that a map and compass is useless in the woods. Sorry Kevin.

No comments: