Monday, June 12, 2006

God save the... flag?

Now, those of you that know me, will know that I give football the same high regard that I may give to cat poo found on my shoe. In fact, I would say that modern day football is about as useful as chocolate ash tray on a speeding motorbike.

However, despite this hatred that I have with the "Nation's game", I am (to the suprise of many) flying the cross of St. Georges over my car.



Football maybe a boring, overpaid, hyped-up game for idiots, but when we compete in the World Cup, I feel that a bit of patriotism is important. Recently, I have read and heard alot of people talking down people flying our nation's flag on their car. Well, I would like to say to those people, in my official capacity as an Englishman -

CARROTS TO YOU!

The original idea of the flag maybe to support football, but the flag is also sign of a country united. I couldn't care less about domestic football, but I wish our lads in Germany every success. Lets keep the flags going!

(Don't mention the war)

2 comments:

Ian said...

And I'd like to second the "Carrots to you non-patriots" people, but with a little add on -

How come we as a nation only seem to come together and be proud as an Engish Nation when our bleeding football team are playing? Is this country really gone so PC-crazy (that's political correctness, not computers) that we're afraid of our own nationality, our identity?

For the record, my family and I started flying St George's flag off a flagpole in our back garden for a football tournament some years ago, and thought "why the hell should we take it down?" when England were knocked out. It's been flying proudly, through all seasons and climates, ever since!

Anonymous said...

I wanna Union Flag...

Go GB :D actually there is one on my No. plate.... hmmm