Sunday, June 07, 2009

It's been emotional...

I chose to quote one of my university friends for this week's blog title, because it is so apt. As I shook hands with Tom and Batman for the last time in our university career, those are the words Tom chose...

First off, this was my very last week of University. Our final hand-in (of our frankly epic videography project) was 12 noon on Friday, marking the end of my time at the University of Chichester. The easiest thing to do would have been to complete the movie, write the assignment, and burn the DVD on Thursday, so that all I had to do was hand the stuff in on Friday. But you know me boys and girls - why make it easy.

At 1150, the DVD was still burning in the drive, and at 1155, we were still printing parts of our production folder. The University is very strict about deadlines - they actually close and lock the door at 12 noon - late work doesn't get marked! So with minutes to go, my videography group put everything together, abandoned our stuff in the media suite, and ran accross the width of the campus, from the Library to to PE Office. Knowing that they might try and lock the door before we arrived, I chose to wear my 70s cop leather jacket, so that I could heroically bust the door open, shout 'Police!', and look almost believable.

The two lovely ladies in my group were obviosly quite concerned, as we entered the building, and started leaping up the 4 flights of stairs. I wasn't worried at all. Slightly out of breath, we threw the stuff into the hand-in box with at least 30 seconds to spare! It was in fact so tight, that they locked the door whilst we were in there!

Funny really, in the four years that I have studied Adventure Education, I have never seriouslu run to meet a deadline - it took me until my 21st, and final hand-in to need to run for the deadline...

With the excitement of meeting the deadline over, the few of us left finally parted ways, and it only then did reality dawn on me. As I strolled accross the field back to 'The Stoke' where Ernie was parked, I realised that this was the end of what was probably the best four years of my life that I would ever have. And what's more, I would never see 26 of the greatest friends I'd ever had so regularly again.

Think about all of the memories, many of them shared with you on this blog. The fantastic residential visits, the weekends away, the courses, and even the lectures. All of it was over. I looked back at the campus reminiscing, and though how daft it all was. I'm going back in on Monday to get some other stuff done. I know that it will feel somehow different.

With my life already at an empass, this weekend has also been an emotional one on the NTC front. I know alot of it is centimentality from Uni, but my cadets almost brought to the point of tears with pride this weekend. And it's very rare that I can say that. Ironically, it was roughly four years ago, that TS Intrepid faced closure due to lack of cadets. I have worked exceptionally hard to ensure that that doesn't happen. My grand parents were involved with NTC, my parents were NTC, and now I'm with the ship. I'll be damned if I'd let Intrepid sink on my watch.

Well, on Sunday, we lead Lancing Carnival procession, our home town's procession. We've done it before, but we have always had the support of TS Sturdy and Implacable. This year, we lead it on our own. I've neen nervous about it for months . Were we ready? Would the cadets turn up? Would the weather be okay?

Well, not only did we lead the parade, but we lead it brilliantly! We had a band of 20, playing as well as I have ever heard them. We had a group of cadets follwoing, carrying a big TS Intrepid banner, and towing our field gun. On top of that, we had a group of about 20 plus parents waling alongside us, all wearing TS Intrepid high-vis jackets. As we marched down Lancing high street, it dawned on me what we had achieved, and what TS Intrepid had become once again.

There were a few cadets and officers missing - but it is most definitely their loss. I think that we managed to look incredible, and we were a fantastic advertisement for possibilities and hard work. Obviously I haven't been the only one working to save Intrepid, but I definitely feel that I have worked exceptionally hard to get us where we were today. Fantastic.

So, as I said, it's been emotional. And with this emotional post, comes a shock announcement. The end of CATCOUK is near. I had originally planned to stop writing my blog when I finished Uni, but this somehow doesn't quite seem like the end of the story. So I shall continue to write posts, until I receive the results of my University degree. After that, I shall probably write the occasional post for when major things happen: new jobs, new cars (although Ernie will live forever), new relationships (don't hold your breath for that one). I would also write a post if I die, but I hear that they haven't installed broadband in the afterlife yet...

But don't fret, if you really want something to read, there are many posts from the last 3 and a bit years, that will here for as long at Blogger keeps them up. And I'll still be posting for the next couple of weeks as well. Take care, and see y'all next week.

PS - Check out our amazing videography project (with bonus DVD Extras as well). Just go to www.youtube.com/catcouk to see the YouTube home of CAT-TDY Productions. The lastest film is the most expensive ever produced, with a budget of over £25.18! Check it out now! [Also available from all crap DVD stores...]

No comments: