Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Goodbyes and Farewells

Apologies for the delay. Technical difficulties. Please read on…

So this was the very last week of camp this week. To start with, we brought down the entirety of the camp’s canvas (all the tents and tarps). And wasn’t that exciting boys and girls? The next day we did something equally as thrilling. What an exciting start to my final week at camp.

On Monday, we had to go out to the lake and collect the boat. We had several people offer to help us with the boat. Anyone would think that camp shut down was boring or something… In the end, we had one of the past sailing directors with us (as I have no idea about how to put away a boat that big), her husband, and health officer Pat, my boss, Jo (my assistant for next year), and myself.

You may remember earlier on this year, I spoke about Pat driving me to hospital. And on that trip, Pat took out a mail box with the camp’s road legal monster truck (called a GMC Suburban over here). Because of that, he was not allowed to drive the truck, so Jordan offered to drive. As it turns out, Jordan is a maniac! But before we talk about that, I break the conversation for some exciting news!

Most guys my age might get excited, and brag about making love to a beautiful woman. What am I going to cheer about? Driving the Suburban of course! Last week Jordan asked me to drive for the food run, but I owned up and said that I couldn’t because of the rules. Well, when we towed the boat off the slipway on the trailer, everyone else was fiddling with the winch that was non-operational.

Well, I saw no point in me getting my feet wet, so I stayed in the truck, and watched. Eventually, I told them not to bother. And they needed someone to pull the boat from the water. And yes, I was that man! You have to understand, that just typing this, I have a huge grin on my face. Can you imagine how elated I was, when I got behind the wheel of that big blue 6.5 litre V8 beast! Furthermore, I enjoy different driving challenges.

Not only did I get to drive the ‘burban, but I was towing 1000 pounds (weight) of boat as well! Even more amazing, is how little it effected the pull of the truck. All 100 metres of driving from the slip, and through the parking lot (more American terms) was bliss. Immense. [Sigh]. For I will never know that level of driving perfection again… (Yes, I know. I really need to get a girlfriend, or just get out more.)

Anyways, on the way home, Jordan took the helm again, and steered us back to camp. As it turns out, he is a mad driver. We were just chatting in the truck, and the rest of the guys were in a car behind. On the way back, Jordan might have slightly exceeded the speed limit. In a ‘work zone’. I didn’t notice (it’s a big truck).

The week progressed onwards, and the shutdown ‘week’ was over by Tuesday, so that on Wednesday, we could go on our end of year staff trip to Hershey Park (yes like the chocolate). It was basically a theme park, but had a small zoo attached to it, as well as a museum of Hershey chocolate. It turns out, my mum has a job there.
Now before I start getting hundreds upon hundreds of E-mails, complaining about how I just slagged off my mum, I should point out that mum calls me Roo (as in Andrew), so I call her Moo. Hence why she was there. Okay? Good.

After that, I was picked up by my sponsor troop from New Jersey, and taken ‘home’ to Dunellen. Once again, the great guys from Troop 29 have taken care of me, and I’ve done some great things. Saturday morning, I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge (if you don’t know which one that is, just picture a bridge in New York, and you’ll know which one), and then went to the top of the Empire State Building. What an amazing experience! And the view from the top was tremendous.

Since the destruction of the World Trade Centre, the Empire State is once again the tallest skyscraper in New York City. From the top of there, it just feels like you are sitting on top of the city. I can see why King Kong liked it up there so much…

Lastly, I need to finish this week’s delayed post with an amazing report. On Sunday 19th August 2007, I gave my first autograph! That’s right, a waitress in Applebee’s (a family dining chain in the states) recognised my voice. In the US, a car insurance company advertises itself with an English speaking Gecko. She heard my voice, and new it was me that does the voice…

Normally I would point out the mistake, but Bill Vincent (the guy that I was with) egged her on, so I thought ‘Well, when in Rome…’. The funniest thing is, the Gekko is voiced by a Londoner. To see what I’m on about, see here (YouTube).

Well, it’s with a sense of poetic justice, that when I started writing this post, I was in Dunellen, New Jersey, but I am finishing it here, sitting at my usual desk in Angmering, Sussex. And that concludes the annals of my American adventure. Tune in next week, to find out what happened when I returned to the UK. Although I would like to add, that by not posting, I got an almost record number of comments in a few days…

If you think I should have just posted this, instead of wasting more time by fishing for comments, why not leave a comment.

If you read this blog every week, but have never left a comment, you are a thief.

Quote of the Week: ‘We are now boarding British Airways flight 184 for London Heathrow, at Gate 68…’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo! you're back!
Enjoying the English weather Andy? We bought out the rain and cold just to make you feel at home, aren't we lovely? Mwahahaha!
Ohhh, Ross passed his driving test btw, took hom long enough, lazy...goood for nothing...mutter...mutter.
You, me, Si, meet up, yeess?
I'll race ya, bet my 995cc is faster than your 1395cc ;)
email me,
B xx

Anonymous said...

Welcome back sir, I think of myself as a metaphorical king kong in the disconnected delapidated (sp) society within which we currently live....

Glad you got to see some of the states tho.

Partario